Magazine Cover Review
After studying the varying styles that major magazine companies utilize each of their magazines, I noticed that there are some similarities in how they appeal to their audiences effectively, and how a majority of them alienate the readers who they are not targeting.
Magazines such as Men’s Health and Rolling Stone heavily use Red, white, and black throughout their magazines because those colors appeal to the male audience they are targeting. They also appeal to the “general interests” of men. Many Sports Illustrated issues are filled cover to cover with female models in swimsuits. The same thing can be said about magazines like Cosmopolitan and Vogue, which use similar tactics to appeal to the female audience. Another similar strategy that magazines like these utilize is heavy advertising. Motor Trends is based around the specifics of new vehicles which also doubles as advertising. Southern Living advertises travel destinations in the South. Numerous female-oriented magazines advertise certain brands based on is the magazine is for the upper-class or middle-class audience.
According to Maxim editor Keith Blanchard in an article by Michael Scherer, [Our readers] have shorter attention spans than any previous generation; they are chronically over-stimulated and easily bored.” Magazines in today’s age have to try had to keep up with their audiences, or else they will be left behind. By taking advantage of their interests and effectively crafting a magazine that won’t bore them, magazines continue to stay afloat.
Now that I have analyzed and thoroughly studied the magazines, I feel like creating a title sequence would be the better option for me for my portfolio project. I feel my creativity would shine more in the title sequences and I don’t really read magazines much nor do I have a big interest in them, therefore it would be harder to construct an appealing magazine.
Comments
Post a Comment