Creativity & Genre
The importance of creativity shows when embarking on a journey into something new. Creativity is the key to rising above others and creating something unique and special. The “Theory of Creativity” TED Talk by Duncan Wardle explained that creativity is scarce in an environment like work where there is a concrete way of doing something. People in those environments find it hard to think creatively when they don’t have to. In the New Introductions activity, I got to really see why I use my phone apps. I noticed that I like to see what other people are doing and what is going on around the world that I live in. In the article “An Interview with Ron Beghetto: Subtle Nuances of Creativity in Learning and Life” by Michael Shaugnessy, Beghetto mentions that creative self-efficacy is shaped by and shapes our creativity. By having low creative self-efficacy, my level of creativity will slump.
What I found when I researched other’s films under the drama genre, I noticed many interesting features that I found very useful. The 2019 war drama film 1917 directed by Sam Mendes, stood out in my mind when I thought of drama films. The protagonist’s interaction with his environment, civilians, fellow soldiers, and enemies throughout the film, his problem solving, and the looming threat of being captured and the lives of 1,600 soldiers on the line makes a very intense and dramatic experience, and I would want to include something like that in my own work. In the period drama Halt and Catch Fire by Christopher Cantwell and Christopher C. Rogers, the main characters must work together to compete against competition and try hard to not fall apart in the process. The character development across the series’ 4 seasons is extensive and meaningful, and the impact on the rest of the world is very interesting to me. I would like to include these elements into my film. What I found to be common in these two works are the attention to detail and atmosphere. 1917’s atmosphere and setting consumed the protagonist very well and made for a very realistic and authentic experience. Similarly, in Halt and Catch Fire, the office settings seem very genuine and really capture the 1980s and 1990s style. I will refer to these two first when structuring and planning out my film.
What I would like to do for my portfolio project is to create the title sequence for a period drama set in the 1980s – 1990s. I want to really establish the stage and atmosphere as well as the main conflict in the film. Character interaction with their environment and other people will be key, and I strongly believe the drama genre is the most appropriate vehicle to share my story with.
Comments
Post a Comment