Decision Day
Storytelling is the foundation of films and magazines. Films are a way to bring stories to life and magazines enhance the traditional story telling in a modern way using photographs. I see the Adobe software as very useful to display our creativity and to express our feelings, emotions, and thoughts to the outside world.
First, we looked at Adobe Premiere Pro, which is used to make and edit clips to make a movie. When we first opened the application, I noticed the many panels organized on the main screen. It did look a bit intimidating, but I as explored each of the panels, the organization really stood out and felt more familiar to me. One of the stand-out features was the Audio Panel, where you can mix audio channels together to enhance the movie. I can see many ways I can use this feature to its fullest potential. According to Wayne Cherry’s article “Our Place in the Universe, the Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom”, “Our students all have stories to tell; we just need to give them a platform and an audience”. I think Premiere Pro is that perfect platform for telling my story, and I think it will reach my audience the best.
Then we looked at Adobe InDesign, a desktop publishing program used to create many things, and in this case, magazines. At first glance, I see a large blank page with many tools and options surrounding it. The layout reminded me of Photoshop, which is the most familiar to me, but trying to work with moving text and pictures and organizing it didn’t seem very easy and I was a bit turned off. In Photoshop, the photos are the focus of the work, but InDesign focuses more on the text rather than the pictures. I think InDesign is still good for making magazines and other works, but it just isn’t as inspiring and creative to me. In Joey Franklin’s article “Survival of the Fittest: Four Editors on the Future of Literary Magazines”, Franklin hears from four editors from different literary magazines, and learns that it has become increasingly harder to reach their audiences and that they must adapt and strategize to compete and keep up with not just other magazines, but other forms of entertainment. I think that by creating a magazine, it would be harder to convey my message and thoughts, and I think a title sequence would be more engaging.
After studying both film title sequences and magazine structure and elements, as well as the matching software to create our own for our portfolios, it solidified my thought of going forward with using Premiere Pro to create my own title sequence than using InDesign to create a magazine. I felt more comfortable when I tried out Premiere Pro and what it had to offer.
Comments
Post a Comment